HMRC Compliance Officer
Job Role: HMRC Compliance Officer
Location: Greater London (hybrid working, 2-3 days per week in office)
A leading drinks business is seeking a dedicated individual to join their team as an HMRC Compliance Officer. This crucial role involves ensuring that their bonded warehouse accreditations are consistently maintained and that all legal requirements are met. Additionally, you will oversee customs entries, customs clearances, and the compliant storage of all products. Reporting to the Warehouse Manager, you will collaborate with internal departments to ensure adherence to company and legal policies, effectively managing all customs-related activities and minimising compliance risks.
- Act as the main point of contact and manage daily UK customs matters, serving as the escalation point for any issues.
- Handle HMRC audits and inquiries, being the primary contact for these interactions.
- Keep processes up to date, including requests for database development and testing.
- Submit and manage Warehouse Excise Approval amendment requests when necessary.
- Supervise Purchase Order receipting and assist in resolving any related queries.
- Resolve bond issues pertaining to Off Trade products/processes in collaboration with the Off Trade team.
- Regularly review excise reconciliation with the Finance team and assist in researching and resolving any discrepancies.
- Assist with NAV software update project testing as required.
- Submit online W5D payments.
- File HMRC Warehouse W1 returns.
- Create UK Bond and Export documentation.
- Submit Northern Ireland ENS entries and Supplementary Declarations.
- Generate VI1 documentation.
- Manage de-stamping of spirits for export.
- Validate new product setups.
- Monitor Duty Deferment and Movement Guarantee levels.
- Verify new UK Supplier Due Diligence and maintain AWRS authorisation.
- Conduct Due Diligence checks on new warehouse owners.
- Maintain the Organic Authorisation and associated processes.
- Gather and monitor W5ds from third-party warehouses, ensuring proper backup and order information inclusion.
- Resolve undischarged inbound/outbound ARCs and Export Entries.
- Report losses to HMRC.
- Implement new Excise Duty rates and Duty Price rises.
- Validate new Bonded and Export customers and update the database accordingly.
- Distribute and record Duty Stamps.
- Conduct inductions for new team members.
- Train relevant departments on Organics and Due Diligence.
- Coordinate duty payments on samples with the Finance team.
- Perform stock adjustments to address internal issues.
- Participate in the annual Stock Take.
- Create new entries in the ERP database as needed, such as country codes, units of measure, commodity codes, and tax codes.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Previous experience working in a bonded warehouse.
- Solid understanding of UK customs procedures and tariffs.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Collaborative mindset and the ability to build and maintain relationships.
- Exceptional accuracy and numeracy skills.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proactive and takes initiative.
- Excellent prioritization and workload management abilities.
- Efficient and capable of working at a fast pace.
- Aptitude for making day-to-day decisions.
- Proficient in MS Office applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.